Today marks the introduction of Natalist, a women’s health startup making beautiful, science-backed conception essentials. Natalist empowers consumers in the preconception period with doctor-approved products and resources, including The Get Pregnant Bundle, a curated collection of essentials to support people each month that are trying to get pregnant.
Natalist is built on the values of evidence, education, and usability. The team—moms, doctors, and scientists—started Natalist with a mission to reduce the shame, misinformation, and outdated product offerings they experienced while trying to conceive. They offer evidence-based education and community, alongside redesigned fertility essentials.
“When I was struggling to get pregnant, I couldn’t get the answers I needed, found shopping for preconception products uncomfortable, and felt isolated and disconnected from my body. Only after talking with other women, I realized this was a shared experience that needed to be reinvented for everyone,” says Founder and CEO Halle Tecco, a prominent women’s health angel investor and Founder and former CEO of digital health investment fund Rock Health.
The team also includes Chief Scientific Officer, Dr. Elizabeth Kane, a Harvard-trained scientist, and Chief Medical Advisor, Dr. Nazaneen Homaifar, a UCSF-trained OBGYN.
The United States doesn’t provide substantive fertility education, and many people don’t go to a preconception appointment before starting a family. People are taught how not to get pregnant; so when it comes time to start a family, there’s a large information gap. Only 36 percent of pregnant women are confident of their ovulation date—which is instrumental in timing sex for conception. (Natalist survey of 1,200 women, 2018). The lack of trusted, accessible sources of information has health consequences. Only 34 percent of women took a prenatal vitamin before becoming pregnant (March of Dimes); ACOG recommends taking a prenatal vitamin, which crucially contains supplemental folate, months before conception to prevent neural tube defects.
This is where Natalist and The Get Pregnant Bundle come in. The Get Pregnant Bundle, Natalist’s flagship product, includes:
- Prenatal Vitamin Duo: A Prenatal Multivitamin and Omega DHA supplement made with high-quality, bioavailable ingredients that meet or exceed American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) guidelines. Many prenatal vitamins on the market do not meet these criteria.
- Ovulation Tests (7) clinically proven to help women find their fertile window and increase their chances the first month they start trying. Forty-eight percent of women use apps to track their fertile window, but only 20 percent of these are accurate and don’t help women with irregular cycles.
- Pregnancy Tests (3) early-result tests that can be used five days before an expected period to give women the answer they need as soon as possible.
- Conception 101: Everything you need to know from concept to conception, this guide includes the basics of human reproduction, practical tips, and tools for how to get pregnant, addresses common misconceptions and normalizes the range of experiences people face while trying to conceive.
The Get Pregnant Bundle is delivered discreetly and available on subscription; products are also available individually as a one-time-purchase.
The consumer fertility products industry is dominated by male-owned and male-run incumbents that offer little female-targeted support or education. Additionally, many brands offering prenatal supplements often don’t meet clinical guidelines.
“In lieu of a trusted source for consumer preconception products, people encounter non-evidence based products like birth control cleanse supplements, both online and in major retailers. Natalist is building that trusted brand; we even have a page on our website that states what we don’t sell and why,“ says Chief Medical Advisor Dr. Nazaneen Homaifar.
Natalist offers consumers beautiful, science-backed conception essentials and promises:
- No junk science. Products and resources built by doctors and scientists. Obsessing over the research is our not-so-secret past time. We back our products with evidence and never dumb things down.
- By women, for you. Intuitive to use. Delivered like a friend. We respect your time, intelligence, and emotional journey.
- Design that delights. TTC should feel like TLC. We think you can have nice things before, during, and after creating a new human.
- Judgement-free support. Celebrate the journey and the destination. Sex ed taught us how not to get pregnant. We think it’s about time we lift the covers on how to get pregnant.