Here are some important facts about the need for better border security. This was part of a statement for USADC from the White House:
THE CRISIS FACING OUR COUNTRY: We are facing a growing national security and humanitarian crisis at our Southern Border.
- This crisis is only worsening as 2,000 inadmissible migrants arrive at our border every day and overwhelm our immigration system.
- We do not have the resources needed to hold them, and legal loopholes and activist court rulings prevent authorities from promptly returning them.
- Immigration courts are overwhelmed, with a backlog of over 800,000 cases.
- We must secure our border to protect our communities and make sure no more Americans fall victim to crimes committed by illegal aliens.
- Immigration and Customs Enforcement (ICE) has arrested 266,000 aliens with criminal records in the last two years.
- This includes aliens charged or convicted of 100,000 assaults, nearly 30,000 sex crimes, and 4,000 violent killings.
- Deadly drugs are flowing across our borders, taking far too many American lives.
- 300 Americans die every week from heroin, 90 percent of which comes across our Southern Border.
- We are facing a humanitarian crisis as human smugglers exploit our immigration system for profit and drive migrants to make the treacherous journey north to the border.
- 1 in 3 migrant women are sexually assaulted on the dangerous trek to the border.
- 20,000 migrant children were illegally smuggled into the country last month alone.
- The Administration has requested $5.7 billion for construction of approximately 234 miles of new steel barrier on the Southern Border, a $4.1 billion increase over the Senate bill.
- To protect our communities, the Administration requested $675 million to deter and detect narcotics, weapons, and other materials crossing our borders.
- Among the Administration’s requests for more resources are:
- $211 million to hire 750 additional Border Patrol agents
- $571 million for 2,000 additional ICE personnel
- $4.2 billion for 52,000 detention beds, personnel, transportation, and detention alternatives
- $563 million for 75 additional immigration judges and support staff
- The President is calling on Congress to stop the political games and come together and address the crisis we are facing.
- Congress has a responsibility to protect the safety and security of the American people and it needs to meet that responsibility by providing the funding needed to secure the border.
Cong. Kevin Brady (R-TX), who is a senior House Republican from a border state, has weighed in on the topic of the wall and border security.
He released the following statement regarding President Trump’s address to the American people regarding the humanitarian and security crisis on the southern border:
“I continue to stand with President Trump in his efforts to secure our border and prioritize national security. In the Houston region, we’re all too familiar with the damage caused by MS-13 gangs, drug trafficking and sex trafficking, much of which comes from the southern border. Our border is not secure and the communities I represent pay the price.
“The only thing Senator Schumer (D-NY) got right tonight is that there is no excuse to keep the government shut down. It’s time for Senate and House Democrats to come to the table and discuss the President’s common sense solutions to end this humanitarian and security crisis on our southern border, and fully reopen our government.”